Project Ramon

A learning journey from a Ruby noob perspective

Rails Multi-tenant update && Capybara Functional Coverage

Hello and happy Wednesday! I have been spending most of my free time lately attempting to implement multi-tenancy in my Rails application. I’ve had to start over a few times for the various strategies I’ve seen online thus far. During this latest restart I had the mind to add functional tests with Capybara to help me isolate where my application breaks if I run into the same sort of issues […]

Continue Reading →

Picks of the Week: Git documentation & Multi-Tenant Resources

Hello and happy Wednesday! I’ve been busy recently, and have yet to complete my implementation of multi-tenancy in my Rails project. I plan on having a post on how things turned out when I finish, but until then I thought it was high time that I share some of my favorite recent discoveries as picks of the week! Multi-tenancy Resources Here is a short list of additional resources I’ve either […]

Continue Reading →

Exploring Multi-tenancy

Hello! Today I started looking into adding multi-tenant abilities to my application. I thought I would share some resources I’ve been learning from, and maybe in a future post, show you the choices I made when implementing this. What Is Multi-tenancy? This wikipedia page describes multi-tenancy like so: Multitenancy refers to a principle in software architecture where a single instance of the software runs on a server, serving multiple client-organizations […]

Continue Reading →

Taking stock of Ruby’s Minitest: Introduction

Hello! I’ve been enjoying my reading of the Refactoring Ruby Edition book. I’ve also found some new learning resources that have been very exciting to participate in. I plan on resuming my reading of the Refactoring Ruby book, but today I wanted to share something that I’ve just started playing with. One of my pairing friends I met during my time learning at AirPair, Russell Baker, pointed me to Pat […]

Continue Reading →

Refactoring Ruby: Remove Named Parameter

Hello and happy Friday! If you remember the last refactoring pattern we reviewed, Introduce Named Parameter, we covered how placing our method parameters in a hash provides us a benefit of being able to name (with our hash’s key) our long and/or complicated parameters, providing better readability for ourselves and other code readers. Today’s refactor pattern is the inverse of Introduce Named Parameter. Remove Named Parameters There is a definite […]

Continue Reading →

Refactoring Ruby: Introduce Named Parameter

Hello and happy Monday! I first saw today’s refactor pattern in this StackOverflow question I asked a while ago. I also remember seeing this implemented in Sandi Metz’ Practical Object-Oriented Design In Ruby book. Introduce Named Parameter When parameters in our method call can’t be easily reasoned from the name of our method. We can convert our parameter list into a Hash, using our Hash key’s as names for the […]

Continue Reading →